Sunday, February 6, 2022

Turnip28 Sniper Snail (personal project)

I thought I would post some personal projects up here since it's been a while. I just finished up a set of figures last week and I had some time to kill while waiting for my next assignment. I've been a fan of INQ28 for a while (and have several customs even though I don't play) and with Turnip28 taking off I wanted to take a crack at sculpting something in that vein. 

If you are unfamiliar with Turnip28 it is a tabletop skirmish game by Max FitzGerald who has created a setting that's getting some attention. Fans of Oldhammer and Mordheim could find this setting a lot of fun and a great chance for hobbyists to create some unique and interesting things. The rules are currently free over at his Patreon page, check it out if you are interested...

https://www.patreon.com/Turnip28

After seeing some of Mr. FitzGeralds art I got inspired to do a snail (no particular reason, just thought it would be fun) and since I'm lazy and didn't want to sculpt it myself I ordered some snail shells off of Amazon a month back and used one of those. I didn't plan much of anything and just began adding things that I thought would look good. I tried to keep things like some of the works of Terry Gilliam, Roger Christian and a bit of Brian Froud in mind as I went.

I may have gone overboard with the snails mouth, after sculpting it I was getting a feeling that I've seen it before and then I realized it looks a lot like the Santa Cruz Screaming Hand logo by Jim Phillips (or "Monks of the Screaming Fist" for the Rogue Trader era fans) so I subconciously ripped him off. Sorry. On top of that I don't even want to think how he reloads that gun. Anyway, I might make a mold of it in the future and cast it up and actually try to paint something for once. Hope this amuses.































9 comments:

  1. Very cool. Great to see you post something again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jason, sorry for a random message, I've spent the last hour trying to find a way of getting in touch with you!

    Basically I came across an image on pintrest of a 40k Enslaver that was captioned that you were the sculptor.

    As an amateur model maker and sculptor I have to say it is one of the most beautiful minis I have ever seen. Was / is it ever available to purchase at all?

    Again sorry for this random message.

    Best wishes

    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Simon, Wow... Yeah I did do that some time ago. It was just a personal project that I made only a couple of castings of. That picture is from when I gave a copy to my friend http://kxmxb.blogspot.com/ I'm not sure if I have the original anymore, I'll look through some of my old sculpt boxes to see if it's there and I'll see if I can get some better pictures posted here.
      Thank you for the compliments, hows your sculpting going?

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for getting back to me. My sculpting these days is usually intergrated into the kitbashing and conversions I do of warhammer universe pieces, I don't really play any of the games, rather just reimagine or fill in gaps of the model range from the old lore or figures from my childhood. Hence my interest in your enslaver.

      I've not sculpted a full piece for ages; but have a "couple" to finish and dozens of projects I would like to produce one day.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like how I started out, hopefully something comes of it.

      Delete
  3. Hi again, did you manage to find your enslaver or any more images of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This model is so cool! As usual, really inspiring stuff from you.
    I missed so many of your latest minis, congrats for all of them!
    (The b&w pics look lovely, I do miss some turquoise fimo shots though :D )
    Please keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Thank you! I wasn't aware my work showed up on your radar so this was a surprise especially since your work is so much more elegant and involved than mine. I've got a ton of figures in production and when/if they are released I'll have a pretty huge update. (And I think you are one of the few who miss the turquoise.) Thanks again and I hope things are going well for you!

      Delete